About Us



The Poggio Allegro winery, dating back to 1046, is owned by the aristocratic Burgio family of Gazzère. Having always been vinedressers, during the past century, they produced wines in their three wine factories inside the family castle located in Mazara del Vallo, Sicily. The winery, known as the castle of Gazzère, was once a residence for hunting for the Burgio family. In 1610, it was converted to the winery with baroque influences and 17th century inspired architecture.

At the present time, Count Aurelio Burgio runs the 70 hectare vineyard, of which 11 hectares is dedicated to the winery. The vineyards are situated on hilly soils of medium calcareous mixture, giving the wines their qualities of harmony and strength. The vineyards that produce the red wines include Nero d’Avola and Pignatello, while those that yield white wines include Grillo, Inzolia, Cataratto and Grecanico.